SEARHC is a non-profit health consortium which serves the health interests of the residents of Southeast Alaska. We see our employees as our strongest assets. It is our priority to further their development and our organization by aiding in their professional advancement.
Working at SEARHC is more than a job, it’s a fulfilling career. We offer generous benefits, including retirement, paid time off, paid parental leave, health, dental, and vision benefits, life insurance and long and short-term disability, and more.
Responsible for ensuring all patient access areas record accurate demographic information in the electronic health record, verify insurance eligibility on patient accounts, collect on patient liabilities at the point of service, process authorizations, and assist patients with applying for alternate resources.
$33.41 - $45.76 per hour, DOE
Key Essential Functions and Accountabilities of the Job
• Provides leadership in coordinating initiatives and assisting in operations of patient access for the Southeast Alaska Regional Health Consortium.
o Ensures all patient access areas record accurate demographic information in the electronic health record
o Verifies insurance eligibility on patient accounts, collects on patient liabilities at the point of service, processes authorizations, and assists patients with applying for alternate resources.
• Coaches and develops staff performing patient access functions and ensures that the department remains in compliance with all departmental, institutional and regulatory policies applicable to these functions. Models and ensures staff members exhibit exemplary customer service.
• Participates in system implementations related to the Electronic Health Record, Financial Counselor software, and other new technology platforms that are utilized by Patient Access.
• Participates in integration of the department’s services with the region’s provider functions, develops and implements policies and procedures that guide or support services, and improves department performance.
• Provides subject matter expertise and guidance for Patient Access in rural locations in the areas of Medical, Behavioral Health, Optometry, Dental, Audiology Ancillary services through dotted line reporting.
• Coordinates with the revenue cycle to manage key performance expectations and challenges including upfront collections protocols, capturing accurate demographic and insurance information, timely registration and patient satisfaction, denial prevention, patient flow, unbilled, patient concerns, and the patient portal. Contributes to Account Receivable goals by ensuring insurance eligibility for accurate and timely billing.
• Manages software and process development to assist financial counselors in order to accurately and timely identify patients who are eligible for alternative resources. In coordination with Outreach and Enrollment, Direct Health Benefits functions to screen self-pay patients for alternate resources and apply for Medicaid, Medicare, VA, HRSA, TSHIP, grants, and ACA.
• Processes authorizations before services are rendered in order to be reimbursed properly for claims. Coordinates Utilization Review (UR) to ensure medical necessity and appropriateness to prevent claim denials when a patient is ineligible for services billed by the provider.
• Optimizes Point of Service Collections through Patient Access staff who are educated on terminology, policies, scripts, and know how much to collect based on the service and insurance type.
• Reviews performance of Patient Access Supervisors, Patient Access Registrars, and Financial Counselors to ensure timeliness, accuracy, compliance and standards fulfillment. Clearly communicates how individual goals and job expectations align with organizational objectives. Monitors and maintains Key Performance Indicators and supports data capture and tracking. Ensures quality review measurements are in place.
• Implements and monitors standard policies, processes, and forms. Develops and maintains a Patient Access procedure manual.
• Other duties as assigned
• This position does require supervisory responsibilities.
Education, Certifications, and Licenses Required
• Bachelor’s degree - required
• Minimum 3 years of healthcare supervisory experience may be exchanged in lieu of degree. An equivalent combination of education and experience may also substitute for a degree.
• Certified Healthcare Access Manager - preferred
• 3-5 years’ experience in a patient access setting or related revenue cycle department -required
• 1+ years of supervisory experience - required
• EHR Implementations in a hospital/ multi-clinic setting experience - preferred
• Customer service experience including training in customer service principles - required
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Healthcare technology and automated system design of Electronic Health Record Systems.
• Principles of managed care (i.e., Medicare, Medicaid, Blue Cross, Campus and related federal and state regulations and requirements
• Knowledge of healthcare technology and automated system design of Electronic Health Record Systems,
• Healthcare Revenue Cycle operations, Information systems and health care applications and revenue cycle principles
• Leadership including coaching, conflict resolutions to aide in the development of departmental personnel.
• Analytical skills to discuss problems, analyze solutions/options, evaluate and enable improvement of process
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills for a diverse customer base including, physicians, executive leadership and both technical and administrative staff.
• Project management
• Maintain long-term customer relationships, building trust and respect by consistently meeting and exceeding expectations
• Analyze problems, offer possible solutions and represent PFS effectively on committees and in work groups
• Effectively supervise the work of direct reports to ensure adherence to quality standards, deadlines, and proper procedures, correcting errors or problems
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Products including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
25% travel expected to meet with managing sites.