SEARHC is a non-profit health consortium which serves the health interests of the residents of Southeast Alaska. We see our employees as our strongest assets. It is our priority to further their development and our organization by aiding in their professional advancement.
Working at SEARHC is more than a job, it’s a fulfilling career. We offer generous benefits, including retirement, paid time off, paid parental leave, health, dental, and vision benefits, life insurance and long and short-term disability, and more.
Hires, trains, supervises, and maintains certification records for dental assistants. Initiates ongoing performance improvement activities and develops processes for workflow efficiencies for dental assistants. Is responsible for the daily, weekly, and monthly responsibilities and duties of the dental assistants, provides staff training, and completes annual performance evaluations. Works in full capacity as a dental assistant during the day-to-day operation of the dental clinic.
Key Essential Functions and Accountabilities of the Job
• Performs all duties as outlined in the Lead DA and Dental Assistant job descriptions.
• Supervises the day-to-day activities and assignments of dental assistants in the SEARHC Dental Clinic.
• Directs the assistants in weekly and monthly infection control, clinic maintenance, and quality improvement activities.
• Is responsible for new dental assistant employee recruitment, onboarding, and training.
• Develops and implements workflow processes to ensure DA efficiencies.
• Develops and ensures the completion of DA monthly job duties and assigns them to individual employees, including village travel coverage.
• Completes annual performance evaluations of all dental assistants under their direct supervision in collaboration with dentist(s).
• Completes annual DA competencies for all dental assistants under their direct supervision.
• Leads Dental Assistant meetings and huddles.
• Establishes systems to record and manage DA certifications, DA attendance and disciplinary actions, equipment inventory, and supply inventory and ordering.
• Checks DA stocking of operatories and carts. Oversees inventory of all stocked items and ordering all clinic supplies and materials.
• Oversees daily logs of Medical Emergency Equipment and inventory of key equipment.
• Approves employee time sheets while maintaining leave request, sick leave logs, and unscheduled leave logs.
• Direct supervisor to Dental Assistants in their clinic.
Education, Certifications, and Licenses Required
• High school diploma or equivalent
• Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) certification in Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) preferred
• Current CPR certificate.
• Current radiology certificate
• Minimum 6 years’ dental assisting work experience.
o 2 years of which are in a supervisory capacity OR show progressively responsible roles in dental assisting.
• 12 annual continuing dental education credits.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Dental materials
• Dental procedures and instruments
• Oral and written communication
• Hand-eye coordination
• Work with multiple staff members in a constructive team environment.
• Provide training to less experienced staff in a mentoring supportive manner.
• Set the standards and expectations for less experienced staff in a professional manner.
• Effectively monitor inventory and order supplies in a timely fashion.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Products including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Must be able to travel 10% of the time.